Just to let you know- this blog is no longer active. I'll be keeping up my 101 in 1001 list until its completion, but will not be writing new posts. You can read the post below if you want the long version. Thanks for the journey to all my friends in the blogosphere!

Friday, June 26, 2009

Marathon Training Plan

So last post, I answered the what and why questions. There is a very important question yet to answered, how am I going to get ready for this marathon?

Runner's World ran a 16 week training plan in their July issue called the "The RW Marathon Challenge" with modifications for busy runners, injury-pron
e runners, those looking for PRs, and first timers. I'm following the first timer plan with a few tweaks here and there. The first long run starts at 5 miles (which is completely attainable for me right now) and builds to a 20 mile long run before tapering. On the scheduled "rest" days I'll be just doing a short easy 1 mile.

The other component that I tend to neglect is strength training. Remember how I'm one of those people who have to learn the same lesson over and over again? When I look back, those times that I was running AND strengthen training AND cross-training where the times that I was the fastest, fittest, and happiest.

So, I'm dusting off my Jillian Michael's (did I ever mention how I'm obsessed with Biggest Loser?) "Making the Cut" and following her circuits for strength/cross training. I bought this book several months ago and have never made it past Day 4 of the workouts. I had busy as an excuse before, but no excuse now! I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment