Just to let you know- this blog is no longer active. I'll be keeping up my 101 in 1001 list until its completion, but will not be writing new posts. You can read the post below if you want the long version. Thanks for the journey to all my friends in the blogosphere!

Thursday, June 18, 2009

50 Minutes, Free

A few years ago, when I was studying abroad, I was very serious about my running for several months. I even had this little journal that I kept up with all my runs and workouts and whatnot. The other day, I flipped that journal open and saw an entry that said:

"70 minutes, Free"

And I thought, "How poetic of me...that instead of saying '70 minute run' or '7 miles running,' to me it felt like 70 minutes free!"

Then I flipped to the next page: "20 minutes, Free." And the next: "40 minutes, Free."

And I thought, "Hmm...running must have really given me wings that week."

Turning back to the book, I found the next entry: "50 minutes, Wave Rider." Then I remembered that I took two pairs of running shoes with me abroad: my Nike Frees and my Mizuno Waveriders.

So "Free" was actually referring to this:

Oh well. The thing is though, running 5 miles around the edge of town, hot and sticky, actually makes me feel free. As long as I'm not dodging trucks or dogs.

(By the way: Wearing Nike Frees when you are training for a marathon is NOT a bright idea. They were these fad, super-light shoes that were supposed to build your feet muscles while you ran. I LOVED running in them...sometimes even without socks! But they eventually led an overuse knee injury because I didn't have enough support for my feet. Lesson learned.)

No comments:

Post a Comment