So, out of the blue, I decided to take on a challenge I could actually get through without anything at all to throw me off course:
54. Give up Diet Coke (which for me, means all soda) for a month.
I don't think Diet Coke is just this horrible, horrible thing. I know the aspartame is bad for you, but I think it's not as bad as all the added calories/sugar you get from a regular soda. Probably, after this challenge, I'll go back to drinking Diet Coke occasionally. I just hope this month off breaks my ridiculous 2, 3, or 4 can a day habit!
For me, there's other side effect benefits too. When I drink less Diet Coke, I....
1. Save money. All those little cans add up!
2. Eat less. I never drink Diet Coke by itself. It's always with a meal or a snack and sometimes I find myself eating more because there's more soda in the can. I don't do that with water.
3. Drink more water. Obviously. I'm not a big fan of other flavored drinks- lemonade, flavored water, juices, tea, etc- so it's basically just water for me this month.
4. Eat healthier foods. Yesterday, my husband ran out to grab something for us to eat after church. The thought of eating any kind of greasy fast food without a Diet Coke kind of grosses me out. So we got Japanese instead and I ended up with a bowl of vegetables, shrimp, and rice instead of the Bojangles chicken biscuit and fries that might have been otherwise.
I've only been off a few days now and I've had some caffeine headaches, but I think I'm over the hump now.
What have you given up or cut back on that's made a big difference for you?