Just to let you know- this blog is no longer active. I'll be keeping up my 101 in 1001 list until its completion, but will not be writing new posts. You can read the post below if you want the long version. Thanks for the journey to all my friends in the blogosphere!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

100th Post! And I don't have a 100 list...

I wanted to do something really cute and obvious for my 100th post like list 100 things I want to do or 100 random facts, or just 100 of something, but really, 100 is a lot. And I have papers-to-grade/laundry-to-fold/Biggest-Loser-to-watch/etc.

So, I'm going to pass the buck. To you. I want to learn 100 things about the web wanderers who have ended up here. So, if you would please, leave a comment with a few things about yourself. List as many as you like because I'd like to learn 100 new pieces of information and I don't anticipate 100 comments. Or even 10, so mathematically, you should consider posting at least 10 facts. But I would be tickled with even just one. : )

In other news...

I have been planning to finalize and post my 2010 resolutions. It's only January 5th, right?

I like big scale resolutions/goals. (365 runs? cough, cough) I think impracticalness is part of the charm for me. Impracticalness, however, does not charm my husband and he kind of has to live with me. And, (listen up, because I'll probably only say this once), maybe he's right. For right now, at least. Teaching two grade levels, taking grad school classes, and just acknowledging that there is life outside of school does not provide a great platform for additional crazy goals.

I don't see myself starting over my 365 this year. So, what are the goals for 2010? I've been thinking about this for a while now and I had a lot of big scale plans that I wanted to start January 1st.

Which I didn't.

At least, not all the way. Which has led me to my main resolution/theme of 2010: Small Steps. There are so many areas in which I want to make improvements, but what I really need to concentrate on is the daily small steps that will lead me where I want to go. I'm not going to morph overnight into the person I want to be: physically, emotionally, professionally, or domestically. But, every day, I can get do a little bit better.

Which reminds me of one of my past students. (Bear with me if you know me in real life, because you've definitely heard this story.) I moved down here last year and learned that one of the charming quirks of this region is an affinity for nicknames. So, on the first day of school, I asked one of my little fourth graders if he had a nickname. He was very excited to tell me, "Well, I gots two nicknames. My first one is "Hammer." That's what my friends call me. But, my real nickname, my special name, what my family calls me is "Little Bit." 'Cause when I was baby, every day I grew, a little bit."

It's really just nothing with the natural accent, timing, and gesturing of this child, but you have to trust me that it was one of the most precious and ridiculous things I've heard as a teacher. And I guess it was inspiring too because that's what'll I'll be working on this year: every day, I'll improve, a little bit.

I'll keep you updated!

8 comments:

  1. I am 32, newlywed, live in memphis, would love to run a half marathon but not sure where to start, i teach deaf children, have 3 part time jobs also, addicted to twitter, love meeting new people through blogging, have a chihuahua named martini, and love to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met my husband by dating a friend of his who had dated a friend of mine (weird, huh?), I was born in NJ and grew up in Miami, FL, I'm a school nurse but never went to nursing school, my nickname is SueMac (obviously), my daughter is a triplet (I lost the other two early in the pregnancy), I was a tom boy growing up, I have a marketing degree I've never used, and I did do a 100 things post and it was soooooo hard to come up with 100! Happy 100th post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just started running, and I stumbled across your blog a few weeks ago -- congrats on your 100 post! I love your idea to work on things each step of the way. Hope 2010 is a great year for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. my favorite color is orange, i recently moved from wisconsin to boston, i've worked in a dog kennel for the past 2 years [and want to own a pug or greyhound...or both :)],i LOVE sharp cheddar cheese, my long term athletic goal is to do an ironman!

    happy 100th post, and cheers to a wonderful 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spend my entire life starting anew. I went back to school at 35 and am now working as an Oncologic Physician Assistant. I moved to Texas with only a small U-Haul and have enjoyed making new friends. I didn't run my first race until I was in my 40's. My first half-marathon is in 10 days, just 3 months before my 50th birthday. I'm working on my 1st novel and I'm very much hoping that one of my friends will introduce me to the man I'll make a life with. (It could happen.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fun - I'm a vegetarian. I was born on Christmas. I'm a runner and I love to swim (most of the time). I'm the oldest of my siblings and have one brother and one sister. I always wanted a boy first to be the older brother!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want a running skirt so badly. I drool when I see them online. I think my students are funny (and funny looking). Diet Sundrop is my drug of choose. I know my dog doesn't like me as much as she likes my husband. I wished you and I lived near each other. We would be friends.

    Mrs. Technology Teacher, please email me how to get the little pictures of websites on the blog. You used a picture of my blog post last week. PLEASE teach me!

    ReplyDelete