Just to let you know- this blog is no longer active. I'll be keeping up my 101 in 1001 list until its completion, but will not be writing new posts. You can read the post below if you want the long version. Thanks for the journey to all my friends in the blogosphere!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Blah................

In the next two weeks, I need to get my kids ready for the End of Grade tests, finish my grad school final projects, direct my first 5K race (almost 100 runners and walkers signed up!), and attend 2 out of town graduations. There's a lot to be done. I'm getting there but I feel like I'm dragging my feet all the way.

Running/exercising/healthy eating has not been a consistent part of my life lately. I've got the big time blahs about it. I think my husband is draining all the "health energy" out of our house. (Did I mention that he went running twice in one day last week?) I was so thrilled to get my Garmin and he's ended up using many more times than I have so far.

I think part of it is post-birthday let down. When I look towards every birthday, first day of school, race, wedding (okay, there was only one of those), summer, or any other semi-significant event, I always picture myself at that magical, ideal weight/speed/health level. And every time that event passes and I'm just the same, I'm just a little disappointed. (Once, when I was in high school, my aunt told me,"If a woman can't lose weight for her wedding, she can't lose weight for anything." That off-hand comment stuck with me...especially when I could not lose weight for my wedding.) By now, I should understand cause/effect and just accept the consequences of my actions. (Don't I ask my my students to do that all the time?) The only times I've been successful in losing a decent amount of weight have been when I was marathon training. Which is kind of frightening because it tells me I'm ALWAYS eating enough calories to support 26 mile runs, even when my only current exercise is grading papers.

I need a new race (preferably a marathon if I want to lose weight) or crazy goal. I don't seem to function well without one.

2 comments:

  1. Join the crowd lady. I think we all feel that way when we aren't in training mode. Just build up some long run for the hell of it. That's what I'm doing. (Of course, don't over do it, but hey if you need to pound the pavement for a little extra delights - I say go for it!)

    And sheesh you are a busy gal! Kudso to you on doing all of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many days I feel like my cardio is grading assessments. Here is my suggestion -- try to maintain now and until school gets out then you can focus on 110% to eating and exercise. This is a ROUGH time of the year for teachers. Take it one day and one meal at a time. Our last day isn't until June 11th and we lost Memorial Day due to snow make-up. I have SIX more (solid, 5 day weeks) until summer. I can make it!

    ReplyDelete