Just to let you know- this blog is no longer active. I'll be keeping up my 101 in 1001 list until its completion, but will not be writing new posts. You can read the post below if you want the long version. Thanks for the journey to all my friends in the blogosphere!

Sunday, October 16, 2011

It's easy to get an age group award...

...when you're the only one in your age group!


In my experience, most 19-24 year-olds are still in bed at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday mornings and the those who do run are racing in college and not worrying about little 5Ks and 10Ks on the weekends. Therefore I've been able to get several age group awards while I was still in my "early twenties."

Fast forward to my "late twenties" and the field seems much more competitive. These women are college runners who are over being burnt out and ready to run again, mommy-runner fanatics who can outpace me even pushing a giant stroller, and hardcore workout fiends who wouldn't dream of sleeping in on Saturdays.

They didn't show up to my race on Saturday though! I was able to stroll right through at a leisurely pace and still take home a medal. Is it pathetic that I'm still excited about my only age group award this fall?

3 comments:

  1. Lol!! Be proud!!! My age group I swear is packed with speedy girls! There must be lots of speedy girls ages 30-39 in Massachusetts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to tell you, but it gets competitive in the 40-44 group, too...... not that I ever get a medal or anything! Celebrate it, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Susan....Next year I go up to the 40-44 group and I know a woman in there who rocks!!! Oh my!!! But the competition keeps it going and I just need to remember, I am really my only true challenge.

    ReplyDelete