Just to let you know- this blog is no longer active. I'll be keeping up my 101 in 1001 list until its completion, but will not be writing new posts. You can read the post below if you want the long version. Thanks for the journey to all my friends in the blogosphere!

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Respect. the. Mountain.

New River Marathon complete! I didn't meet my A or B time goals (I did (I had a typo before) squeeze under 5 hours), but I'm still pretty happy with the result and already itching for Marathon #3.

In a nutshell: I severely underestimated the effect of hills on my time and my fatigue. My hill training has been zero to zilch because it's flat where I live. Bad excuse. I'm hitting up the overpass or treadmill incline big time before I tackle anything like this again. I didn't respect the course in my preparations and I paid for it dearly.

My friend/college roommate fought hard through the hills and finished her first marathon almost 20 minutes ahead of me. Her running buddy from home wasn't far behind me. My two friends from the flatlands each finished their first half marathons and I was so proud!

I'll give the full race report tomorrow, but for now I'm with my mom for Mother's Day! Happy Mother's Day to all of you!

6 comments:

  1. Look at you already planning for #3! Great job finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!!! I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Congrats! You did something that is beyond what most people can comprehend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow congrats!! nice job and it must have gone well if you are planning for #3! Can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations!
    http://beboldrunwild.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete